The Lord our God spoke to us in Horeb, saying: ‘You have dwelt long enough at this mountain. Turn and take your journey, and go to the mountains of the Amorites, to all the neighboring places in the plain, in the mountains and in the lowland, in the South and on the seacoast, to the land of the Canaanites and to Lebanon, as far as the great river, the River Euphrates.
You will arise and have mercy on Zion; For the time to favor her, Yes, the set time, has come.
Delay is an energy sapper. It destroys enthusiasm and can make man lose hope if not dealt with appropriately. It makes it difficult for man to persevere. It can be described as a situation where someone is stuck, stagnant, or moving round in cycles with no evidence of forward movement. Naturally, man can push forward if there is evidence of movement in the direction of one’s goal. The journey becomes difficult when nothing is moving.
In the spirit realm, time is everything. Anytime God decided to move nothing can stop him. Therefore, any form of delay must be properly investigated and dealt with ruthlessly.
When Delay Is Orchestrated By God…
Accept and grow through it. It is meant for your good. Sometimes the delay can be orchestrated by God as a process of maturing. Many times, we are not ready, be it emotionally or spiritually for what we are believing God for or for the delivery of His promises. Joseph and David both received the promise around the age of seventeen (Genesis 37:5 and 1 Samuel 16:1-13), but both had to wait for another thirteen years to effectively manifest these promises. Joseph as second in command to Pharaoh in Egypt and David as the King over the whole of Israel. God had to take them through the process of maturing. If you are in such a process, it doesn’t matter how much praying you do, you have to patiently wait it out and allow yourself to be molded into the shape that fits into the purpose God has for you.
Another critical example was when the children of Israel journeyed from Egypt to the Promise Land. They wandered in the wilderness for forty years for a journey that could have lasted 40 days (Exodus 15: 21 through Chapter 19). The delay was simply due to disobedience and lack of trust. A generation except Joshua and Caleb died in the process. We must learn to learn fast and trust God for things we don’t understand yet. Knowing that our teacher–God loves us and has perfect intentions for us. Delay can be a life waster.
An example of a situation where there was no time for maturation was that of King Saul. The people wanted a king by rejecting God as their king (1 Samuel 8:7) and He gave it to them (permissive will). This neither turned out well for the people nor for King Saul. Sometimes, when we try to force the door open, the result is not always good. Once you know that you are in the will of God for your life, “no”, as an answer, might be His will and source of blessing sometimes. This takes maturity to accept though, hence the need for growing into maturity before we manifest his glory. Therefore, always check with your spirit. Is God saying no what I am asking him for? Accept Him and give Him the glory due Him and another door will open.
When Delay Is Not From God…
Fight it through with the help of the Holy Spirit deploying every spiritual weapon. Sometimes, delay may be due to a coordinated activity of the kingdom of darkness to frustrate the purpose of God for our lives. After doing our spiritual due diligence with the help of the Holy spirit and discovering that the delays fall outside the will of God for our lives, it is time we must stand up against the operations of the kingdom of darkness.
There are many cases in the scriptures we can learn from. The classic one is the story of Daniel and the Prince of Persia.
Then he said to me, “Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come because of your words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia. Daniel 10:12-13.
In this case, it is evident that this delay was not from God and when something is not from God, only what you allow to stand will stand.
Beloved, a lot is going on in our lives today because we allow them to. This may be due to many reasons like lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6) or apathy – when we just sit down and do nothing hoping someone, someday will do something about it.
Whenever you see something in your life that negates His promises, you must be curious and ask questions. We must learn to probe anything we can’t explain. Ask Holy Spirit – your teacher, to explain the situation and sure enough, He will teach you what you don’t know. Once you know, don’t let your attitude be like that of Eli- He is the Lord; let Him do what is good in His eyes (1 Samuel 3:18b). Rise up, don’t take no for an answer, enforce your right as a child. I tell you, your deliverance and breakthrough are nearer than the enemy is making you believe.
Focus on God and His deeds
It is not rocket science to recognize the fruit of a well-known tree. In the same way, if you know God well, it will be easy to recognize it when He is at work. I have heard people say they have a diploma in demonology and their knowledge of the demons is only making them look like one. We begin to look like someone we focus our attention on. When we spend our time focusing on the devil and his activities, we, inadvertently beginning to magnify him and when they become so big, we begin to see less and less of God.
When we focus our attention solely on God, we will understand Him more and more, and then we will more and more become like Him and able to tell if what is going on in our life is from Him. Otherwise, it will be easy to tell that it is from the camp of the enemy and we will deal with them accordingly.
As a recap, when things in your life are not moving at a speed ordained by God, do the following.
- Scan your spiritual environment to know if you are well plugged to the source-God. This is to ensure that your relationship with God is Healthy. If there are any unconfessed sins, confess them to God.
- If God is teaching you something, don’t be in class for forty years. Don’t die in your class. Trust the teacher-God. Learn fast.
- If you see any traces of demonic activities, be aggressive and like Daniel, stand your ground until God does something.
- P.U.S.H. – Pray Until Something Happens.
Let Us Pray
- Father thank you because I know that your thought towards me are good. Even when it seems like things are not working, I know you are working. Whether you are molding me into the shape that fits your plan or fighting my battle for me, I trust that you are actively working behind the scene to work out your plan. Thank you because not one of the hairs of my head will fall without you knowing. I am confident I am in your safe hands. Jeremiah 29:11
- Lord, I ask that you illuminate my heart by your spirit. Like Daniel, lord help to me to see the things that are not visible to the physical eyes. Make me see through your eye. Just like you see oh Lord. Enlarge my mind to comprehend your plans.
- In the name of Jesus Christ, I come against the spirit of Ishmael (Genesis 16:1-4). I will not run ahead of your plan for me. I will not yield to the flesh for a solution outside your plan. I will not take advice that will provide me with temporary relief at the expense of eternity or the destinies of others
- Father, waiting, sometimes, can be distasteful. But I receive your strength to wait. Saul waited for Samuel till the last minutes, but his urge to please people pushed him to make a sacrifice that led to his kingdom being taken from him (1 Samuel 13:8-9). I receive the grace to patiently wait for your time. As I want upon you, Lord, you will renew my strength so that I will arrive my promise land safely and in your time. In the name of Jesus.
- Lord, arise and have mercy on me and let my set time come speedily (Psalm 102:13)
- Father, send you reinforcement Angel to wrestle down any territorial spirit withholding my blessings in Jesus’ name.
Rotimi A. Owoade